- Point of Contact
The production, validation, and management of metadata records can be challenging and time consuming. A number of content sources, formats, storage structures and standards exist and change over time. Metadata creation is often further impeded by complex of metadata standards and a variety of available tool-sets. This variety of standards has created interoperability and compatibility issues. Many existing conventional metadata creation and validation methods do not address these issues.
Extensible Markup Language (XML) techniques are being applied to automate metadata creation and translation and to provide a way to overcome numerous obstacles to producing and maintaining relevant metadata.
One process for using XML includes developing a representative document of what a source (e.g., a data model) contains, and mapping that source to a representative document of a desired output, or target. These representative documents are called schemas (e.g. xsd file extension). This mapping between the source schema and the target schema defines a transform (xslt file extension). The transform is then applied to the source XML to create the desired output. Programmatic metadata generation provides many other benefits, such as reduced effort, consistency, enhanced accuracy, and improved efficiency.
CSDGM to ISO Transformations
The development and implementation of XML technologies to support metadata creation, management, translation, and publication directly supports and improves data discovery and access.
The fine-tuning of these XML technologies (i.e. transforms and style sheets) takes collaborative input to ensure the accuracy and success of the transform products. The NCEI's Metadata Team has worked closely with the FGDC Metadata Working Group , NOAA's National Ocean Service (NOS), Geophysical Data Center (NCEI at Boulder), Oceanographic Data Center (NCEI at Silver Spring), U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) and various other organizations to establish a collaborative Metadata Transform Working Group. This group worked collaboratively to build transforms using XSLT 2.0 based techniques that can be shared and exploited in transitioning metadata that exists in one standards, such as FGDC, to metadata in another standard, such as ISO 19115-2. Due to the high volume of requests for XPath 1.0, a few products are being made available. For more information, please contact the POC listed above, along the right column of the page.
The goal of this collaborative effort was to build standards-compliant metadata transforms and libraries that support various conversions efforts, along with best practices for their applications. This collaboration provided benefits not only for NOAA's metadata effort, but for the greater metadata community.
Metadata Transform Working Group Products
To date, the following products have been checked by the Metadata Transform Working Group and are considered 'finalized'. Users of the transforms are free to adapt the transforms to meet their particular needs. Any questions or comments about these transforms should be sent to email@example.com
- FGDC CSDGM to ISO Transform (567 KB) - This product transforms FGDC-STD-001-1998 XML into ISO 19115-2:2009(E) XML
- FGDC CSDGM to ISO Crosswalk (92 KB) - This is a crosswalk from FGDC CSDGM to ISO 19115 which provides comments for suggested best practices and incorporates feature catalogs (ISO 19110) and coordinate reference systems (ISO 19111).
- ISO XML to HTML View (6 KB) - This product takes ISO 19115 and 19115-2 XML and produces HTML similar to FGDC HTML view with the title and links to the main sections in a header.
- FGDC BIO to ISO Transform (920 KB) - This product transforms FGDC-STD-001.1-1999 XML into ISO 19115-2:2009(E) XML.
- FGDC BIO to ISO Crosswalk (106 KB) - This is a crosswalk from FGDC Biological Profile to ISO 19115 which incorporates feature catalogs (ISO 19110) and coordinate reference systems (ISO 19111). The goal of this crosswalk is to document the transform developed by the working group between FGDC-STD-001.1-1999 and ISO 19115:2003. Please pay special attention to italicized comments.
- FGDC RSE to ISO Transform (790 KB) - This product transforms FGDC-STD-12-2002 XML into ISO 19115-2:2009(E) XML.
- FGDC Section 5 to ISO Feature Catalogue Transform (25 KB) - This product transforms FGDC Section 5 metadata, Entity and Attributes, into the ISO 19110 Feature Catalogue.
- FGDC-STD-001-1998 Schema (32 KB) - This compressed archive file contains an updated FGDC Content Standard for Digital Geospatial Metadata (CSDGM) FGDC-STD-001-1998 schema. Updates are documented within the schema. This schema consists of 11 .xsd files once unzipped. FGDC-STD-001-1998.xsd is the master, which includes the .xsd file associated with each section of the standard. The FGDC-STD-001-1998 .xsd files have been edited. The edits include corrected errors, edited domains, and extended annotation.
- FGDC-STD-001.1 1999 Schema (37 KB) - This compressed archive file contains an updated FGDC Biological Profile FGDC-STD-001.1-1999 schema. Updates are documented within the schema, which consists of 11 .xsd files once unzipped. FGDC-STD-001.1-1999.xsd, the master file, includes the .xsd file associated with each section of the standard. The edits include corrected errors, edited domains, and extended annotation.
- FGDC-STD-001.2 2001 Schema (34 KB) - This compressed archive file contains an updated FGDC Shoreline Profile FGDC-STD-001.2-2001 schema. Updates are documented within the schema. This schema consists of 11 .xsd files once unzipped. FGDC-STD-001.2-2001.xsd is the master file that includes the .xsd file associated with each section of the standard.
- FGDC-STD-012-2002 Schema (43 KB) - This compressed archive file contains an updated FGDC Remote Sensing Extensions FGDC-STD-012-2002 schema. Updates are documented within the schema. This schema consists of 14 .xsd files once unzipped. FGDC-STD-012-2002.xsd is the master file that includes the .xsd file associated with each section of the standard. The edits include corrected errors, edited domains, and extended annotation.
- NOAA Technical Memorandum (52 KB) - Draft NOAA Technical Memorandum (NODC-NCDDC-1) "Automated Metadata Generation Using Extensible Markup Language (XML) Techniques".