The National Centers for Environmental Information can help you meet your metadata needs. Along with training, we can answer questions about record development. We can also provide guidance with transitioning your CSDGM metadata to ISO 19115-2.
How to Archive Data at NCEI
If you would like to archive data at NCEI, here are some options to assist you with your metadata needs:
- The Advanced Tracking and Resource tool for Archive Collections (ATRAC) provides an interface for users to enter and display information on archiving products at NCEI. You may also create an ISO 19115-2 record independent of the archive process.
- Send2NCEI (S2N) is an archiving tool that allows you to easily submit your data files and related documentation to NCEI for long term preservation, stewardship, and access.
ISO Metadata Development Tools
Tools that support the development of ISO metadata include:
- Altova XMLSpy
- NCEI Record Services
- XSLTs to transform CSDGM and related profiles to ISO 1911-2 and ISO 19110
If you are in need of a CSDGM editor, here are the links to several available free editors:
- USGS Online Metadata Editor (for USGS and DOI users)
- USGS Metadata Wizard
- USGS tkme, mp, cns, xtme, and others
- XSLTs and XSDs for use with XML editors
- USDA Forest Service Metavist (for use with the CSDGM Biological Profile)
Metadata Training Options
We are currently working on the 2016 online metadata training schedule. Please visit our Training Webpage for the most up-to-date training information.